2018 Venue 1
Built around 1786 - 1799 to store ice for Berwick's salmon trade, this icehouse was one of several built in Berwick in the late 18th and 19th centuries. The ice was sourced locally if the winter had been severe enough, but usually was imported from Norway. The ice was used for packing fish, particularly salmon, in crates to be transported to London. Ice houses were still being used in the 1930s. In the Second World War it was used as an air raid shelter. It is a Grade II listed building which was restored by Berwick Preservation Trust.
Walk up the hill from Love Lane - entrance on the right