2018 Venue 8
Originally known as Middle Mount, the bastion was renamed in 1746 to commemorate the Duke of Cumberland. Berwick's Elizabethan fortifications were built between 1558 and 1569 when there was a real threat of invasion from the Scots. Cumberland Bastion was one of the five strong points set around the walls. This flanker contained short range artillery that could scour the ditch with grapeshot, dealing with any enemy attempting to scale the walls. The defences were aligned so that guns in the flankers could give supporting crossfire along the face of the neighbouring bastions.