Berwick Amateur Rowing Club Boathouse by the River Tweed
Come and see the boathouse of the most northerly Rowing Club in England which this year celebrates its 150th birthday. A meeting was called in the town in early 1869 to form a rowing club and to promote the sport of rowing in a friendly and gentlemanly manner. The present site was given to the club and a boathouse, constructed almost entirely of timber was completed in that same year. The first regatta was held at Berwick in September 1869 and the course was from the Plantation to the Boathouse downstream. The club is still thriving today and uses its boathouse on the New Road for training and hosting rowing events. On Saturday 14th, there will be a race from Union Chain Bridge to the Boathouse between the Rowing Club and the local Cycling and Running clubs. They leave Union Chain Bridge at 16:00 - who will make it back to the Boathouse first? Gather about 16.30 to find out.
Saturday 12:00-18:00 and Sunday 12:00-16:00 (no booking required)
New Road on the path along the River Tweed heading towards the Royal Border Bridge.
Enjoy a walk along the New Road on Sunday to see this property and Chateau Pedro.
Berwick Barracks, the first in Britain to be purpose-built, were begun in 1717 to the design of the distinguished architect, Sir Nicholas Hawksmoor. They were first occupied by soldiers in 1721 and remained in active use until 1963 when they ceased to be the depot for the Kings Own Scottish Borderers. Home to history and the arts, Berwick Barracks has something to offer all ages. It houses three museums:
Regimental Museum of the King's Own Scottish Borderers: The Museum tells the story of the Regiment from its formation in 1689 to its merger in 2006 with the Royal
Scots to form the Royal Regiment of Scotland. The Regiment has had an activeassociation with the Barracks since 1881.
Berwick Museum and Art Gallery: This Museum tells the history of the town through numerous displays and is also home to Berwick’s Burrell Collection - Sir William Burrell lived at Hutton Castle outside Berwick and donated paintings and other items to the town. Over the weekend, pop in and enjoy some children’s activities and join the Common Room team and their travelling Graft and Glory exhibition about how engineers and innovators from the North East changed the world.
By Beat of Drum: This exhibition, within some of the historic rooms, gives an insight into the life of a British Infantryman from the Civil War to the First World War.
Saturday 10:00-18:00 and Sunday 10:00-18:00 (no booking required)
Please note each museum has different opening times, check local publicity for further