In 1682 a Main Guard building stood in front of the Town Hall. By 1725, it had moved up Marygate to a site opposite Eastern Lane. However, complaints about its location led to a new Main Guard being built in 1743 in the area in front of the former Berwick Advertiser offices. It was then dismantled in 1815 and rebuilt on its present site in Palace Green.
Zoreen Hill takes us on a tour of the building and explains further its history.