The Pier

Berwick Through Time

The Tweed estuary has been an important harbour for at least 2,000 years, although coastal rock formations make it potentially dangerous to enter. Today's pier and lighthouse, completed in 1825, are the latest of many built here in an effort to guide sailors safely into port. Below is a detail of the Elizabethan pier, taken from the 1580 map; click here to find out more about it and about the history of the Holdman Rock on which it is founded.

About the author 

Catherine Kent

Dr Catherine Kent has a background in architecture and enjoys unpicking the history of buildings and landscapes. She is an Honorary Fellow in the Department of History at Durham University.

>